Here are some ways to keep your computer and personal information safe when going online:
• Learn how to spot common scams and fraud - Find out the warning signs of internet fraud, phishing, and other online scams.
• Update your computer software - Download the latest versions of your operating system, web browsers, and apps.
• Talk to your kids about being safe and responsible online - If you are a parent, help protect your kids online by teaching them about the risks.
• Don’t share your passwords or sensitive information with anyone you don’t trust - Think about why someone needs it and if you can really trust the request.Laptop security is also important when using a portable computer in public to help prevent all your valuable information stored on it from falling into the hands of an identity thief.
• Don’t use the same passwords for multiple accounts - Try to make your passwords unpredictable and avoid using names, dates, or common words.
• Don’t give out personal information over unencrypted websites - When shopping or banking online, only use websites that use encryption to protect your information as it goes from your computer to their server.